Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Oregon by Greyhound • Opal Creek part 2


The Adventure Opal Creek Wilderness
Location LAT 44.85949 N LON 122.2649 W
Date June 20, 2009
Weather 64°, Cloudy
Distance 49.9 miles


As we continued down the road, it became very apparent that we had entered the old growth forest. The trees were amazing. Depending on the article, in some places they are 500 years old to 1000 years old. Logging took place in the 1930s, but came to an end when two logging trucks fell off of the road. In the 1990s Opal Creek was established as a wilderness through federal legislation.


Just a daisy sprinkle.


Karen and Crystal round the bend close to a trio of old growth trees.


The wilderness version of Frank Lloyd Wright "Falling Water."


The color was fabulous. Many wild flowers were showing off.


Karen and her sense of humor. I call this "The Big Whiz"


We got as far as Mertin Mill. Old machinery from the 1930s logging mill lay strewn about.



Rumors have it that the old boiler left behind actually came out of the Battleship Oregon.




Just behind the mill is Cascada de los Ninos. I definitely have to come back and spend some quality time with this one. I climbed out on a ledge, but it really was begging for me to climb all of the way down.


The water just past the base of the falls was the most amazing emerald green.


Who could just pass the wildflowers by?


I almost always bring up the rear when we are walking, many because I stop to grab a picture of this or that. Realizing I might be stopped for longer that normal, Crystal and my beautiful bride pulled up a piece of rock in the middle of the trail to wait patiently for me.

Karen, you totally rock. Thank you for indulging me and your eternal patience.

No comments: