Friday, July 17, 2009

Madeline Sweet Girl of Mine



Oh Maddie girl. I remember the day I brought you home so vividly. You were supposed to stay as a guest, but that rabbit soft fur of yours kept telling us you were home. Do you think Jeff really knew what he was doing when he handed me your leash?


After a few short weeks we signed your adoption papers and you too, knew you were home.


Of course, even as a 7 year old, a senior to some you kept us on our toes. Nobody could shred a roll of toilet paper faster than you. You had a whole caper dedicated just to you.


Of course, who could suspect our sweet and innocent Madeline.


You had your moments of being a total nutcase, sometimes you just felt like a nut.


And you seemed especially attached to Gracie. You two started off as best buds right away.


The backyard was your haven. You spent hours out there maintaining an alert level, just to keep everyone safe.


You definitely had a sense of princess entitlement. The softest bed was yours and yours alone.


And you adored your mommas, just as much as we loved you.


You had the perfect mixture of gentleness, kindness...


and that wild and crazy side was with you until the very end.


A stroll in the park was always welcome, and you were so happy to go for a ride in the car.


And if a ride wasn't possible, then a shady patch of grass was the next best thing. You had the best sphinx ever.


As an esteemed member of the Red Hot Houndies, you wore your red and purple very well,


But you were even prettier in pink!


Ah but Maddie, I will miss all of those things about you, but you know what I will miss most?

I will miss you laying next to me at my desk. You always picked out the cushion that was closest to me.

I really miss you at my side honey girl.


But I know in my heart of hearts that you are already back in garden, front and center, just like you liked with your head held high. 



Loveletter aka Maddie • January 31, 1996–July 9, 2009

1 comment:

Alesha McGinnis said...

Goodbye Maddie! U will be missed! XOXOX