The Adventure Belknap Covered Bridge
Location LAT 44° 10' 04.8" N LON 122° 13' 41.8" W
Date May 9, 2009
Weather 68°, Sunny
Distance 111 miles
A bridge at this location has spanned the McKenzie River since 1890.
This is the fourth covered bridge at this location. The current covered bridge was rebuilt in 1966 after the third bridge was destroyed by the Christmas flood of 1964.
Several years later, louvered windows were added to illuminate the interior and reduce the "box effect" of the bridge.
Originally named the McKenzie Bridge, it was re-named after R.S. Belknap who discovered and developed the nearby Belknap Springs.
The Belknap Bridge is the easternmost covered bridge in Lane County.
We got an added bonus when we discovered a small patch of Lady Slippers growing beside the river.